Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chapter 5: Followed

I sat my drink down on the table, trying to think things thru. Everyone had already left and all I could do was think about what had happened earlier. I was really starting to worry. I thought about heading home, but I had to figure out what was going on. I slid out of the booth, paid my bill and left Marge a tip.

As I stepped out of Frankie's, a shiver came over me. The temperature had dropped and the weatherman had even called for possible snow flurries. I pulled my jacket tight around my neck and quickened my pace down the sidewalk. Puzzled as to why they had gone down the alley together and not knowing quite what to do, I decided to follow them. Trying to stay in the shadows and not be seen, I peered down the alley. I couldn't see past the dumpster, but something wasn't right.

Since Kim had left the bar with Sebastian, she has been acting stranger by the minute. What did she see in this guy, Sebastian. She seemed totally into him, but he did nothing but give me the creeps! I mean, biting her neck? What was that about? Kim hadn't always picked Mr. Wonderful or anything, but this guy was different and definately not her type. Or so I thought.

As I continued to look in the direction of the dumpster, he appeared! It was the guy, Sebastian. My heart began to race and it was all I could do not to step into the alley. Something held me back. Then I saw Kim step back from behind the side of the dumpster and it looked as though she was crying. She turned and looked at Sebastian and then they both went back beside the dumpster, once again out of my view. Was that blood on Kim's face?! As they stepped back again and into the dim light of the alleyway, I could definately see blood on Kim's face. I gasped, wanting to run to her! Did they hear me? I sure hoped not. Where was Marc? Sebastian kissed Kim, said something I could not hear, and then quick as a flash, they disappeared into the shadows and were gone. What the hell was going on!? I had to find out. Maybe this was a joke they were playing on me? What if Kim and Marc were in trouble? Maybe they would head back to Kim's apartment. I decided for now, to go and wait for them at Kim's.

Climbing the stairs and standing in front of the door to Kim's, I tilted the mailbox and out slid the key from a space in the bottom of it. I stopped for a second to listen and see if they were coming, but heard nothing except for the neighbors dog barking. Entering her apartment, I found everything pretty much like it had been when I left her there earlier. Not knowing whether they would come here I curling up on her couch and watching an SNL repeat. I tried to make sense of what I had seen and of Kim and I's conversation yesterday. My eyes grew heavy with sleep. I had to...stay...awake...

No comments: